Justice Weekend – Friday
Join us for a weekend with Justice Kenneth Pedlar, while looking at social justice, restorative justice, and criminal justice systems in Canada and abroad.
Meet Honourable Justice Kenneth Pedlar (Rtd.)
- Graduated 1968 from Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto.
- 1970 until 1980 practiced law in Kingston Ontario, exclusively as a litigator.
- Conducted cases in Criminal Law, primarily as defence counsel including murder, sex assaults, drug trafficking, theft, fraud etc.
- Also acted as a part time Crown Attorney. Acted in Civil Law claims involving millions of dollars and Family Law and Child Protection defence cases.
- In July 1980 appointed as a Judge in the Ontario Court of Justice at Kingston hearing cases of Family Law, Child Protection and Youth Court.
- In 1995 moved to primarily Criminal cases, while continuing to hear Family, Child Protection and Youth Court cases. Appointed as Administrative Justice for that court in several counties in Eastern Ontario.
- In November 1999 appointed as a Judge of the Superior Court of Justice of Ontario with specialization in Family and Child Protection cases , but also hearing Criminal and Civil cases as set out above.
- In 2015 appointed as the Local Administrative Justice for the Superior Court in 2 Counties of Eastern Ontario. Retired in March 2021.
As a lawyer, and a Judge guest lectured at Queens University, St Lawrence College and continuing education conferences at a Provincial and Federal level.As a Judge innovated an Early Response program to deal with cases of domestic abuse, where access to children could be dealt with quickly, without delay or expense. Also regularly interviewed children in custody and access cases, as appropriate. This is not common practice in Ontario , although is in some other jurisdictions. Actively sought improvements in Access to Justice. Still involved in that issue.
Community and Church Involvement
- Grew up attending and participating in church life. Sunday School and doctrine teacher and Youth Group Leader as young person.
- Played in brass band as youth and adult.
- Leader of Youth Ministries for The Salvation Army in Kingston from 1974 until early 1980’s when appointed Corps Sergeant Major ( senior lay leader). Given that designation for lifetime in 2004.
- Have continued to serve God, through the Salvation Army in many roles: CSM, band leader and player, Men’s Bible class , membership classes, and Men’s Breakfast Fellowship leader, former member of the Board of Booth University and The Salvation Army Ethics Center , both located in Winnipeg, firmer Territorial President of Advisory Council of Salvation Army Laity.
- Currently still a member of the Board of Youth for Christ Kingston for about 30 years.
- Former member of Board and Chair of the Personnel Committee of Beechgrove Regional Children’s Center in Kingston.
- Member of the Board of International Justice Mission Canada for 16 years from 2003 until 2019.
- Member of the executive for 10 years.
- Commencing in 2009, I have made 10 trips to Bolivia with a small group of IJMC advocates working with Bolivian courts, at all levels, and courts’ administration there , as well as lawyers, police and prosecutors to advance the Justice system in Bolivia.
Friday October 27, 2023
- 7pm - 8.30pm
- Social Justice
- "Who are these Christians? Why do they walk that way?"
Saturday October 28, 2023
- 2pm - 3pm
- Ask A Judge
- An informal session to meet Judge Ken Pedlar.
- 6pm - 8pm
- Restorative Justice
- "You be the Judge": A seminar with Honourable Justice Kenneth Pedlar
Sunday October 29, 2023
- 10.30am - 11.30am
- Sharing God's word
- During the morning service.